Just as the saying goes, “The shoes make the outfit”, the same can be said that plants make the property. A building can be beautiful but without complimentary landscaping it has not reached its full design potential.
Plants offer much more than curb appeal. Plants give homes and properties unique personalities and character. A well thought out landscaping can make homes feel more modern, traditional, tropical, or southwestern just by the types of plants chosen.
If your home’s landscaping could use some help realizing its full potential – call Grass Works for help. We can work with you to find plants that will suit you, your home, and your budget turning your basic yard into your own personal oasis.
The Benefits of Plants for Your Property
- Increase Curb Appeal: Landscaping can increase a home’s resale value by 15-20% on average. A well-maintained landscape not only increases your home’s value but also the values of the homes in your neighborhood. Poor or neglected landscaping, on the other hand, can decrease your home’s or your neighbor’s homes values by up to 10% on average.
- Reduce Erosion and Provide Shade: Beat the sun’s heat with shade trees and hedges designed to give the understory of your yard some beneficial shade. The shade will protect the plants and soil beneath it from drying out and the roots of those plants will help prevent erosion during heavy rains.
- Provide Beneficial Habitats for Wildlife and Pollinators: Different types of wildlife are attracted to different varieties of plants. Design your yard to attract the wildlife you enjoy most by installing plants that are pleasing to them. Fragrant flowers will attract pollinators so choose colorful flowering plants to entice beneficial butterflies and bees and soon your garden will be buzzing with new friends.
- Provide Privacy and Enjoyment: If your neighbors are a little too close for comfort or you just like having your own personal space, planting a hedge row can provide a natural screen around the boundary of your yard without seeming “unneighborly”.
Grass Works offers two plant installation options:
- Plant Installation (Fixed): Our team will work with you to discuss plant options, sizes, and quantities for your installation. On the day of the installation, our team will source the materials then deliver and install them at your home in the areas designated during our on-site meeting. Consider adding new mulch or river rock to your beds for a clean, finished look.
- Plant Installation (Hourly): Are you picky about plants or just love shopping for them yourself? Purchasing plants can be fun but most people dread the back breaking work of installing them. Don’t worry, Grass Works can help. Our hourly plant installation service includes the labor only to install them. You provide the plants, we supply the labor. It’s as easy as point, dig, done.
Popular Plants and Texas Natives to Consider:
- Trees: Oak (Live Oak, Texas Red Oak, Lacey Oak, Shumard Oak, Chinquapin Oak), Crape Myrtle, Redbud (Texas, Oklahoma), Mexican Sycamore, Magnolia (Little Gem, Teddy Bear), Japanese Maple, Pecan, Arizona Cypress
- Bushes: Texas Sage, Boxwoods, Yaupon Holly, Burford Holly, Indian Hawthorne, Viburnum, Japanese Yew, Pittosporum, Abelia, Bottlebrush, Knockout roses
- Perennials: Bird of Paradise, Esperanza, Firebush, Fall Aster, Skullcaps, Lantana, Salvia, Autumn Sage, Plumbago, Gregg’s Mistflower, Sage (Autumn, Cherry, Majestic, Russian, Mealy Blue, Mexican Bush), Ruellia, Spider Lily, Society Garlic, Variegated Ginger, Foxtail Fern
- Xeric: Texas Sotol, Agave (Queen Victoria, Squid, Blue Glow, Parry’s, Whale Tongue, Century Plant), Prickly Pear (Spineless and Santa Rita), Yucca (Red/Yellow, Twistleaf, Paleleaf, Softleaf), Beaked Yucca (Yucca Rostrata), Golden Barrel Cactus, Mexican Fencepost Cactus, Sticks of Fire (Euphorbia)
- Ornamental Grasses: Mexican Feathergrass, Bamboo Muhly, Gulf Coast Muhly, Lindheimer’s Muhly, Inland Sea Oats, Deer Muhly, Sedge, Aztec Grass, Hameln Dwarf Fountain Grass, Pampas
- Vines: Confederate Star Jasmine, Crossvine, Fig Vine, Carolina Jessamine, Coral Honeysuckle Vine, Passion Vine, Trumpet Vine, Mexican Flame Vine
- Groundcover: Asian Jasmine, Silver Ponyfoot, Liriope, Aztec Grass, Mondo Grass, Purple Heart, English Ivy, Trailing Rosemary, Ajuga